Sensor Technology (The Software Engineer Way)

Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jriachi
Forum MemberPosts: 74
Like?
Sensor Technology (The Software Engineer Way)
Oct 6, 2013

I've been battling with sensor technology trying to understand the science behind it and the inherent problems that comes with it like noise, dynamic range...etc. I give up! I don't understand anything, but I have noticed one important aspect of the whole design (Every sensor design). The current design is too static (this is from software engineering point of view). It is like a software module written with only constants in it! What I am referring too is the fact that nothing is done to change the characteristics of the sensor to adapt to low light or maximum light in terms of optical / mechanical parts. The micro lens has a constant angle, the bucket is of fixed size, the distance from the bucket to the lens is static too... It is such a stiff design for an optical system (IMHO). Can't we have double the buckets and increase or decrease the distance to the micro lens with the control of the ISO? The sensor resolution will be equal to the number of the micro lenses rather than the number of buckets, and with PP on the CPU everything else will be taken care of. Hence you have more signal over noise at higher ISO but lesser resolution than the total number of buckets.

I may regret that I dared to start this thread. DP do not kick me out...

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow