Started Oct 4, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: EF mount D800
In reply to Chez Wimpy, Oct 6, 2013

Chez Wimpy wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

The 5D3 and 6D sensors have double the QE of the 20D sensor, and the 6D has negligible banding.

QE? I am not interested in photon counts here unless it means actually getting my 14-bits worth (of bloat).

QE is important anytime you are above base ISO.

I see the 6D made it all the way to #72.

Not a fan of DxOMark's "overall" scores.

If they managed to get rid of the low-ISO banding then that alone is something alright...

It's very low with the 6D.

...but it is five years (and a few dozen MPs) short.

No argument with that.

The other problem is that the recent lenses aren't even tasked by 20MP, and all my prints are A1+ these days which means I routinely stitch with my 550D + TSE (45+ MP) rather than a single shot straight out of the FF camera (conditions permitting). 36MP of Sony DR for ~$2000 and a pocketable weather-sealed winter camera to boot (I have used the EM5 long enough to know what this IQ potential means for my work)... unless Canon gets a 100MP monster with similar performance in my working lifetime, I think my 5D2 will be resigned to occasional fast prime work into my retirement. Well, a TSE45II or the 70-200/2.8IS II perhaps (and aren't they supposed to make their real money from lenses anyways?).

Indeed.  Let's hope that Canon's next round of sensors have the ADC issue solved and significantly more pixels.  I wonder what Sony is going to bring to the table, though.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow