SUV Runs Over Biker, helmet cam to the rescue?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488Gear list
Like?
Re: Getting all philosophical...
In reply to Bajerunner, 10 months ago

Bajerunner wrote:

JimPearce wrote:

An action is an event under an interpretation. There is a common fallacy today (given the prevailing scientism) that we can perceive - in other words "see' - like a video camera. But this confuses sensation with perception. In truth, all perception is interpretation, is on the way to narrative. If anyone wants to challenge this we'll need to get really philosophical. Personally I can see this event both from the perspective of the bikers - the Range Rover pilot having a Bonfire of the Vanities moment - and from his perspective. Both narratives can be quite compelling. Unfortunately, I don't think there really is a view from nowhere from which the real truth of human actions will emerge. There certainly is a view that issues from the courtroom, and I expect this to go badly for the bikers.

-- hide signature --

Jim

Excellent points. We THINK we know what WE would have done. But what state was the driver's mind in, to make the spur of the moment decision.

Spur of the moment is key. It speaks to what we can reasonably expect him to have done. I do think he panicked and decided that his own safety was paramount - something most would have done.

As you say, interpretation, unless we are in his head.

I can only say, heck, if even a car seems to track me or while walking a couple of guys seem to track me, I get cautious.

Exactly, me too. Especially

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow