Started Oct 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
markgv
Regular MemberPosts: 109Gear list
Like?
Camera Bag Suggestion?
Oct 6, 2013

Yet another one of these threads... but I do know what I'm looking for! I just don't have any camera place around within 50 miles or more that carry the ones I've identified as possibilities, so I can't do a hands on. Can you help?
Here's what I want:

• I'm trying to keep price around $100
  • I want a messenger style bag.
  • I'm wanting to get one as small as possible for what I want to carry. I especially want it to be thinner (depth) so it looks more like a briefcase rather than fat and boxy like some bags. (I need it to fit under an airplane seat and still leave some room for my feet!)
  • I'm carrying two bodies, and I want to be able to get quick access to either of them.
  • I do not like bags w/ flaps you have to mess with to get the camera out. I do like the bags that have quick access from the top (even when they have flaps).
  • I do like the capability of being able to slip in a 10" tablet.
  • You can see in the pic what I'm envisioning. A K-30 with the 18-135 and the K-x with a Sigma 10-20. I would carry the DAL 55-300 and a fast prime as well. They would be below the bodies. I would not need to get to them quickly, but I want them available.
  • So, I need to be able to move around the padded dividers to make that configuration.
  • As pictured below, the internal dimensions of a bag I'm wanting are 12.5" (32cm) wide by 9.5" (25cm) high by 4" (10cm) deep.

I have found 3 possible bags so far. (Links are to B&H)

1. Tenba Discovery Mini Photo/Laptop: I like this one mostly... black/gray is okay, and they did a number of improvements from the earlier model (next link). The problem is that the padded insert, from what I've been able to find out, is at most 12" wide. Maybe I could stretch it to 12.5"? The insert can be removed, and then the internal width is 12.5", but from what I can determine, there is no padding. I can get this w/ educational discount at $82)
  2. Tenba Photo/Laptop Messenger Mini: This is basically an older model of the previous. No insert, but the bag itself is padded, and it should have 13.5" of width. Plus, I like the chocolate brown color! I don't like the lack of interior and side pockets like the newer models has. ($64 w/ educational discount)
  3. Vanguard UPRise 33: (There's a newer model that's a little bigger: UPRise II 33) These bags are a little bigger than the Tenbas and also somewhat more expensive at around $130.

SO...

If anyone has #1 and can confirm if I could get 12.5" wide worth of camera in it, I would appreciate it.

Is there another bag that would match my search? (I've looked at LOTS online...)

Hmmm... maybe I just talked myself into #2, especially given the cost.

Thanks for any advice!

markgv's gear list:markgv's gear list
Pentax K-x Pentax K-30 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow