Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer
Senior MemberPosts: 4,309Gear list
Like?
E-M1 Trouble focusing on moving objects
10 months ago

First let me make clear that this is my first day using an interchangeable lens camera so this is probably user error. I certainly hope it is or my new equipment could be defective.

This afternoon I went to a local park to practice using my new gear. On my E-M1 I had my MMF-3 adapter, 1.4 teleconverter, and 50-200 lens. I was trying to take pictures of boats going by on the lake and more often than not I had trouble getting focus. The boats were crossing in such a way that I had many minutes to try to capture each boat going by on the lake.

Initially I was photographing docked boats and such and having no problems. Then I decided to try to capture the moving boats and the trouble started. Later I had the same problem trying to capture a swimming alligator.

I would point the camera and half depress the shutter and I would see what you see in photo one. I would wait. Same thing. I would let go of the shutter and point at something else and half press the shutter and the image would still be blurred. If I fiddled around enough I would usually be able to get a shot of the boat but only because I had minutes to do so.

I had lots of time to experiment and think this through. One thing I did was change from Single Focus to Continuos auto focus. That didn't help.

Later I even took the 50-200 off and put the 12-50 back on. The boats were quite far away. I had the same type of problem with that lens.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

These are SOOC...

What I saw in the EVF much of the time

The type of shot I was only occasionally able to get.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow