E-M1 Trouble focusing on moving objects

Started Oct 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Florida Nature Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 7,805
E-M1 Trouble focusing on moving objects

First let me make clear that this is my first day using an interchangeable lens camera so this is probably user error. I certainly hope it is or my new equipment could be defective.

This afternoon I went to a local park to practice using my new gear. On my E-M1 I had my MMF-3 adapter, 1.4 teleconverter, and 50-200 lens. I was trying to take pictures of boats going by on the lake and more often than not I had trouble getting focus. The boats were crossing in such a way that I had many minutes to try to capture each boat going by on the lake.

Initially I was photographing docked boats and such and having no problems. Then I decided to try to capture the moving boats and the trouble started. Later I had the same problem trying to capture a swimming alligator.

I would point the camera and half depress the shutter and I would see what you see in photo one. I would wait. Same thing. I would let go of the shutter and point at something else and half press the shutter and the image would still be blurred. If I fiddled around enough I would usually be able to get a shot of the boat but only because I had minutes to do so.

I had lots of time to experiment and think this through. One thing I did was change from Single Focus to Continuos auto focus. That didn't help.

Later I even took the 50-200 off and put the 12-50 back on. The boats were quite far away. I had the same type of problem with that lens.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

These are SOOC...

What I saw in the EVF much of the time

The type of shot I was only occasionally able to get.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow