Started 11 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,891Gear list
Like?
Initial Impressions Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 "C" on Sony a77
11 months ago

I just got this lens so this is an early set of impressions...

Note this is the Sony Version so there is no OS on lens.

Pros:

• I like the look. Clean monotone no bright color logos or even text reminds me of my old Sigma 24-135 FF I had years go, but smaller.
  • Every test I have seen says this thing is insanely sharp to the edged.
  • My early tests show it to be very sharp even at wide open.
  • Near silent AF focusing.. (there is click when focus stops or starts shame as the actual focus is silent)
  • Starts out at f2.8
  • Nice medium macro mode... [The lens can nearly touch the object at closes focus]
  • Smooth manual focus ring.
  • Comes with petal lens shade
  • Nice Bokeh!

Cons:

• On Sony disables MF setting on camera. You must use the lens switch. This disables Sony's DMF (Direct Manual Focus) feature where the camera focuses then switches to manual so you can adjust. This I good for things like spiders on webs where the AF keeps grabbing the background. You can move the focus to the real target and let AF fine tune.
  • There is a click when the lens starts and stops a focus move. If you are videoing a quiet scene where the AGC or sensitivity of the audio is up.. You will hear it. The movement is silent to the ear. I did hear it on one inside total silent shot shooting close to the object.
  • Wide Open there is CA but it is controlled fine in LR

You can view a video of taken on outside where the main noise is freeway traffic a half mile away. You can hear the clicks. Also has some MF close shots of a spider

VIDEO SAMPLE:

http://youtu.be/KC_3ukOs_Rw

CONCLUSION:

Amazing still Lens especially for a zoom that starts at f 2.8. I have seen Canon Pros compare this favorably to their higher end Canon glass..

Ok AF sound for video of events with noise.. better than Sony screw drive lens but noisier than Sony SSM lens. I would move to MF for video in quiet locations.

SAMPLES:

Here are some quick shots ended up taking them at ISO 800

I did PP in Lightroom. IE this is a good idea of what you can get with minor PP vs a total RAW image test. Minor sharpening, NR and did CA correction there was purple and yellow CA on the web in Macro shots. But LR easily controls it.

Wide Angle f2.8

Full Image:

Center Crop

Full Image:

Corner Crop:

70mm Macro
Full Image: wide open at f4.0

Center Crop:

Full Image f4.5

Corner Crop

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony a77 II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +7 more
K E Hoffman's score
Average community score
Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | C Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow