How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
prime
Senior MemberPosts: 1,491
Like?
Re: How do i explain to someone its not about megapixels ?
In reply to Onyx S21, 9 months ago

redsf1 wrote:

. . . she wants a 600D for the only reason of its got 18MP. and the only reason she is going for a Canon is cos its what everyone uses. so how do i explain to her its not just MP? ... she wants it for portraits so is never going to massive posters. i just don't know how to explain it to her.

Second, follow John1940's sage advice.

First, however, ask her to sit before her highest resolution computer monitor and open a web browser. Then -- in separate tabs in the browser -- open:

This 18 MP -- 5184 x 3456 pixels -- photo taken by DPReview editor Richard Butler using a Canon 600D

and

This 6 MP -- 2816 x 2112 pixels -- photo taken, handheld, with an 'umble Fujifilm XF1

Then select Original size; the monitor will be able to show only a small fraction of either image. Wordlessly, scroll the images to places in each photo where very fine hairs on the faces (not coarse beard stubble) show -- where a forehead or a chin or an ear, for instance, is silhouetted against a darker background; scroll to look at areas of skin texture. This will provide a clue to portraiture rendition, but don't spoil it with words. Images sometimes speak louder than words.

Then, follow John1940's sage advice.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow