SUV Runs Over Biker, helmet cam to the rescue?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 2,431Gear list
Like?
Re: happened to me
In reply to Rexgig0, 6 months ago

Rexgig0 wrote:

While "brake checking" is not prohibited by name, in my jurisdiction, the act of changing lanes to do so, as in my above example, violates one or more traffic laws, and could also, potentially, be prosecuted as a criminal misdemeanor. Coming to a complete stop, or nearly so, in a moving lane of traffic, in Texas, without justification, could either be a traffic citation, for Impeding Traffic, or a misdemeanor, Blocking a Moving Lane of Traffic, punishable by up to six months in jail plus a fine.

They train us to tap our brakes as a signal to a tailgater. But that's somewhat different from what we see here and I think you're hitting on the fact that this wasn't a "valid" brake check. It was reckless riding.

Plus, there are street racing laws being enacted in Texas, and probably other states, that may be applicable to what this group seemed to be trying to do, that could be serious misdemeanors or felonies. It is, however, very difficult to catch such bikers. My Crown Vic cannot even follow them, to keep them in sight, much less catch them. It generally takes a helicopter, with FLIR (infra-red) if at night, to track them to a hiding place, and if they separate, that means catching just one of them, as it is very unusual to have more than one helicopter available at a time.

The one was charged with illegally detaining or something like that. (Among other things.)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow