Started Oct 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jenna B
Senior MemberPosts: 2,699Gear list
Like?
Coke Bottle & Old Tshirt Flash Diffuser
Oct 5, 2013

I apologise in advance, as I intended to do this as a "how to" but got carried away and made it without taking any photos at all during the process! It is very very easy though and I have taken a few snaps to show you the results

So, first things first - what, why and how? Quite simple really! I wanted to make a light-guide diffuser to direct the light from my bottom-of-the-range Metz 36 AF flash to the front of my macro set-up, to provide uni-directional lighting for tiny subjects.

To do this, I cut the end off a coke bottle, just enough so that I could fit my flash in. I then covered the outside of the bottle with kitchen foil (shiny side in), leaving a small opening in the covering at the bottom end, to allow light to pass through, down towards the lens. I cut a piece of cloth from an old tshirt/vest and covered the clear piece of bottle with this to diffuse the light. Finally, I taped a couple of rubber bands on to attach to the flash.

The macro setup is a Mimcro-NIKKOR 55mm 1:1 macro on 58mm of tubes, with a Raynox M-250 clipped on the front.

Piccies below First outing, hand-held in low light so was very tough to get focus right - shot at F11 to F16 (may have used F22 at some point, but don't think that was in these shots). ISO 80, shutter 1/180 and IS set to 55mm

-- hide signature --

Always smiling! Jenn x
Flikr = http://www.flickr.com/photos/silentskies/
Personal Website = http://www.silentskies.co.uk/

Jenna B's gear list:Jenna B's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K-5 II Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +2 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow