Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,715Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to clarnibass, Oct 5, 2013

clarnibass wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

As for the Tamron: It's sharper, focuses much closer, has a bit more reach, has VC, bokeh is probably better (still looking!), and the AF is very fast and more acurate. It's a different tool, but it can do a lot of what the 1.8G can do and some of it clearly better due to close focus and VC.

All nice advantages but the slow f/2.8 aperture kills it for me for any non-macro use. I found that the f/1.8 aperture is exactly the right one for me. The f/1.4 lenses are not worth their price to me, a poor value. The f/2.8 lenses are far too slow for what I want.

I use the f1.8G almost exclusively at f2 so have to agree that anything slower or faster isn't going to interest me. 85mm at f1.4 would have to be super shallow DOF, not what I am looking for. Plus as you said, huge lenses intimidate non-professional models. The 85 1.8g is actually pushing that as it is in my experience.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow