Sony mirrorless FullFrame!?!?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,691Gear list
Like?
EF mount D800
In reply to Great Bustard, 6 months ago

Great Bustard wrote:

The 5D3 and 6D sensors have double the QE of the 20D sensor, and the 6D has negligible banding.

QE?  I am not interested in photon counts here unless it means actually getting my 14-bits worth (of bloat).  I see the 6D made it all the way to #72 .  If they managed to get rid of the low-ISO banding then that alone is something alright... but it is five years (and a few dozen MPs) short.  The other problem is that the recent lenses aren't even tasked by 20MP, and all my prints are A1+ these days which means I routinely stitch with my 550D + TSE (45+ MP) rather than a single shot straight out of the FF camera (conditions permitting).  36MP of Sony DR for ~$2000 and a pocketable weather-sealed winter camera to boot (I have used the EM5 long enough to know what this IQ potential means for my work)... unless Canon gets a 100MP monster with similar performance in my working lifetime, I think my 5D2 will be resigned to occasional fast prime work into my retirement.  Well, a TSE45II or the 70-200/2.8IS II perhaps (and aren't they supposed to make their real money from lenses anyways?).

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow