Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
EarthQuake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,192Gear list
Like?
Re: The lenses are too big
In reply to sean lancaster, 11 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

Lab D wrote:

I am trying to get away from those big lenses.

I shoot a Canon 6D, but I can put on a 40/2.8 pancake lens when I want to go small. This gives me the frame of view that m4/3 gets with a 20/1.4 lens. I see there is a Panny 20/1.7, so that would be close. My 40 is a quality full frame lens and the dimensions are very, very close the near equivalent on m4/3.

Canon 40/2.8

Filter Thread Front: 52 mm

Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.7 x 0.9" (6.86 x 2.29 cm)

Weight 4.6 oz (130 g)

and

Panny 20/1.7

Filter Thread 46 mm

Dimensions (DxL) Approx. 2.48 x 1.0" (6.30 x 2.54 cm)

Weight 3.5 oz (99 g)

Now, I also shoot a Sigma 35/1.4 and it's huge. Sigh. But the Voigtlander 35/1.4 I had on my mirrorless was a full frame fast 35 and it wasn't large (and wasn't AF either). I suspect Sony is going to work very hard to keep lens sizes from getting out of hand for their small FF cameras.

The 40/2.8 is a very specific lens, its easy to design a pancake lens that is close to the flange distance of the lens mount (canon: 44mm, M43: 19.25). You can't really design anything longer or wider with such small size for a DSLR.

M mount lenses can be designed to be much smaller than SLR lenses, because the flange distance is shorter and there is no flipping mirror in the way. This will be the case with FF Sony mount lenses as well. Not that Sony will come out with leica size lenses(up to them really) but physically they are able to, unlike DSLR lenses where it is physically impossible due to the mirror being in the way. Wides have to be designed as retrofocus lenses to avoid the mirror, which makes them much, much larger.

Sony FF E mount lenses should be somewhere in-between the size of M43 lenses and FF SLR lenses, and can be quite small and light if kept to reasonable apertures, say F2 for primes and F4 for zooms. 1.4 primes and 2.8 zoom, well, there isn't much you can do to make them cover a FF image circle and also small and lightweight.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow