D800 Portrait Lens Battle!

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,981Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to Kabe Luna, Oct 5, 2013

Kabe Luna wrote:

Personally, I find 70-200/2.8 zooms (all of them) too unwieldy for portraiture, and in the case of the Nikon not superior to primes in the range at the same apertures. I prefer 85mm and 135mm primes for portraits.

-- hide signature --

As I also own primes for portraits, I'm in partial agreement.

However, the 70-200 zoom is superior to the primes when shooting candids and in situations where the variable focal length returns a shot the prime wouldn't have been able to match. I own various versions of these lenses because they all have specific strengths. The 70-200 with it's VR, ultra sharp optics at 2.8, great bokeh and fast AF makes it the king of versatility IF you can handle the weight. I understand not everyone can or wants to. I'm 6'3, so it feels like a little lens to me!

I wouldn't be without the 85mm or the 70-200. I'm hanging on for a 135mm update...the 135mm F2 AF-S VR.

Until then only the 70-200 can steal me certain shots....

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow