Would you buy X-Trans or Bayer

Started Oct 4, 2013 | Polls thread
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,365Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you buy X-Trans or Bayer
In reply to Red5TX, Oct 5, 2013

We now have two models which are the same down to the sensor only differing in the CFA - the X-M1 and the X-A1. The differing opinions on the various threads here as to which images are superior to me show that they are close - i.e. X-trans isn't superior.

If I put the various raw samples through my normal workflow (Lightroom/ACR), the X-A1 ends up better. So for me, Bayer is better and I would happily pay the same as the X-trans version for an AA filter-less Bayer version.

I am surprised at the voting for AA filtered Bayer - as of when I voted, 13 for X-trans, 7 for Bayer with AA filter, and 4 without.

AA filters for some time have been so weak that they do not prevent moire, they only reduce the intensity not the frequency of occurrence. For a time I had both the D800 & D800E and where one would show moire so would the other - sold the D800. If the AA filter isn't going to stop moire, why blur the image which will later require greater sharpening to overcome?

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D810 Nikon D750
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow