Would you buy X-Trans or Bayer

Started 11 months ago | Polls thread
inasir1971
Senior MemberPosts: 3,206
Like?
Re: Would you buy X-Trans or Bayer
In reply to Red5TX, 11 months ago

We now have two models which are the same down to the sensor only differing in the CFA - the X-M1 and the X-A1. The differing opinions on the various threads here as to which images are superior to me show that they are close - i.e. X-trans isn't superior.

If I put the various raw samples through my normal workflow (Lightroom/ACR), the X-A1 ends up better. So for me, Bayer is better and I would happily pay the same as the X-trans version for an AA filter-less Bayer version.

I am surprised at the voting for AA filtered Bayer - as of when I voted, 13 for X-trans, 7 for Bayer with AA filter, and 4 without.

AA filters for some time have been so weak that they do not prevent moire, they only reduce the intensity not the frequency of occurrence. For a time I had both the D800 & D800E and where one would show moire so would the other - sold the D800. If the AA filter isn't going to stop moire, why blur the image which will later require greater sharpening to overcome?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow