Foveon Merrill ISO

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
cctpix
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Re: Foveon Merrill ISO
In reply to D Cox, 6 months ago

Owning the SD-10, 14, 15 and 1M, I can tell you from personal experience that the SD-15 is the odd one in the bunch.

As has been noted many times in this forum, one can generally "shoot the shadows" (within reason, of course) on everything but the SD-15 at ISO-200 or so and be able to pull back the highlights.

When I got the SD-15 and used it on my first outing, I shot a lot of high-contrast, shadow-inclusive pictures and ended up with unrecoverably-blown highlights:  Knowing how AFE works, I instantly realized my mistake when processing the pictures and from then on I set my SD-15 to EV -1 or more since force of habit from the older SD's would be hard to break!  Sith the SD-15, once I'd started setting it to EV -1, started reviewing my histogram more (always a good practice!) as well as more frequently bracketing exposures, I got much better results.

Of all of the SD's that I've had, I must say that the SD-10 and SD-14 are the best in dynamics for daytime outdoor pictures - and the SD-1M is fairly close.  I suspect that this has more to do with my engrained habits than something intrinsic to the hardware itself, however, as they can all do really well if I'm careful.

CT

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow