Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !

Started Oct 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
rpm40
Senior MemberPosts: 1,937Gear list
Like?
Re: Terada: Olympus could go Full Frame !
In reply to InTheMist, Oct 4, 2013

I imagine Sony will be leading the way with mirrorless 35mm. They have the RX1, they have 35 mm slrs, it is a sensible progression for them. Olympus, on the other hand, needs to focus on m4/3, which is different enough to set them apart from the competition, rather than competing in the same space head on, where the big boys have the advantage.

That said- who needs it? I agree with the earlier comment about silly "FF" fetishism. Sensor technology is rapidly improving. Noise, dynamic range, resolution, etc. are already pretty good with m4/3, and will continue to get better. The only area where sensor improvements can't compensate for "FF" are in depth of field control.

I find depth of field control to be perfectly acceptable for the vast majority of situations with fast lenses. In fact, in many cases I want MORE depth of field, so I suppose it's a very nice compromise. I suppose if you don't, then you need a bigger sensor and bigger system.

What other reason would there be to still need 35mm or larger a few years from now?

rpm40's gear list:rpm40's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NoNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow