ISOless sensors, read noise and photography - many questions!

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 29,913
Like?
Re: ISOless sensors, read noise and photography - many questions!
In reply to Steen Bay, 11 months ago

Steen Bay wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

I think personal tests to one's own requirements are always the best - part of getting to know your camera. Just to add, the same goes for you raw processing tools.

The subthread below seems to confirm that. It seems that the ISO on the NEX 5N (and maybe other Sony cameras?) just is a tag in the RAW file. No gain/amplification or digital scaling/multiplication at all. Seems that DxO missed that!

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52263644

The Sony raw coding is unusual, because they use a non-linear 12 bit code (at least in some cameras) - I think we'd want to look closely to convince ourselves that the non-linearity remains the same from ISO to ISO.

Edit: AsIliah's post confirms

-- hide signature --

Bob

The 'spikes' in (especially) the shadows (to the left) get wider as the ISO increases, but maybe that has something to do with long exposure NR? (suppose that "2, f/2.8" means 2 seconds, f/2.8)

I wouldn't expect NR to change the histogram on that scale, it would mean hugely visible smudging if that was true. Think, the nature of NR is to change pixels to very nearly the same tone, but within the same distribution of tomes that already exist. If it goes inventing new tones, the results will look very strange indeed.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BAM!New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow