Forum ProPosts: 15,695Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the NEX-5T the last NEX camera?
In reply to parallaxproblem, Oct 4, 2013

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

captura wrote:

Is the NEX-6 on a 2 year cycle, or a no-year cycle?

I think we are in basic agreement at this point. I just reacted a bit because I'm really fed up with inconsistent SAR rumors, although I can't blame them too much because it's SAR's business to stay in business, after all.I can't blame Sony at all for any of this because they believe in being secretive and I can't say as I blame them. They need, after all, to protect their profits. I suggest taking SAR rumors with a modicum of discretion.

Yes, I'm getting rather fed-up with being jerked around there (as I previously mentioned). However I think Sony themselves are playing a few games with Andrea on that site. I feel a bit sorry for him and hope he is getting a bit of money from the advertising there

NEX-6 and NEX-5R always struck me as slightly odd models as they are so similar: it was like two different design concepts for the same product. I wonder if this is what actually happened and as the Sony team couldn't decide which one to release they decided to produce both and sell at slightly different price points..? Just speculation on my part

Thhe technology of bthe 6 and the 5R/T is the same. The bodies are different. Adding the EVR component as in the 6 makes it much more expensive, quite naturally. Adding the touch screen and removing one dial as in the 5R/T results in a $200 savings. Sony's plan was to cover the middle of the market with these 2 cameras to give 2 different choices to buyers depending on their needs. I feel they did this successfully. And I'm a 5R upgrader to suggest there is a 3'd choice. Initially buying a 5R, the later getting the FDA AV1S EVR.

I have done that as well and it is inded a nice combo. But they could have offered the 5R and the EVF as a sales package without needing to market the NEX-6...

I wonder if the 5T is basically a 'single run' product which is using-up left-over parts from both the 5R and 6, with a view to both models being replaced early next year by a single new model with a new sensor (an A5000?)? The NFC in the 5T would have certainly earned the NEX team 'brownie points' internally within Sony for it's compatibility with the Xperia Z1, Xperia Tablet Z and 2013 Bravia TVs - incidentally I got to play with an Xperia Tablet Z yesterday: very nice piece of kit! (though I still bought the Nexus 10, but only because it was half the price and I intend to use it primarily as a development machine, where current android updates are important)

No, the 5T is 100% the same as the 5R, except for the tiny piece of electronics required for the Near Field feature. If anyone know with assurance about any other difference in the hardware, please post it.

Yes, I know that! I meant that the 5T uses up the remaining unassembled 5R parts (except for the upgraded comms chip) together the bits which were common with the NEX 6 (sensor, shutter, lCD, buttons internal circuitry etc). They probably melted down the unused NEX-5R grips and NEX-6 bodies and stuck the plastic back into the very slightly modified 5T moulds

I acutally downloaded the NEX-5T manual one evening and read it - I couldn't see any difference from the 5R except for the stuff covered in the NFC supplement!

Could Sony release a NEX-9 as well as these models? I really wish Sony would tell us clearly what their plans for A and E mount are as I'm getting fed up with being jerked around by these rumours

It's all a media guessing game. How many sales floaters are proposed by connected hucksters and marketing people? I would guess that all of these companies including the rumor- makers, journalists, reviewers and vendors are intertwined in a complicated octopus of sorts. Or am I being too cynical? And are any of the members of DPR really secretly paid just to promote or to stir things up? (hope not.)

I'm certain that there are a few paid shills on DPR and I'm pretty sure I could have named two on the Pentax forum a few years ago when I was active there. I've seen people clearly paid by Apple to challenge claims of battery issues/power supply problems and from Microsoft on corporate matters in national newspaper internet forums (the Microsoft Shills are a newer feature - Apple have had them for years)

This is a real problem on the internet. I once read a glowing review of a tailor's shop I know in a tourist location in a developing nation on a travelling blog written by an aussi couple. I mentioned it to the owner of the shop a while later and he said 'yes, I paid $500 for that'. The couple were charging 500 dollars a piece (a very decent monthly salary in that region) to shops that they were going to during their travelling holiday to say nice things about them... and you would never have guessed from reading the blog!

- seeming virtual certainty that more upscale follow-up models after the SLR-body ILC A-3000 (ie: A7, A7r?) will soon be introduced indicates a change of direction by Sony.

But would Sony abandon the NEX rangefinder-style body altogether? Even Panasonic and Olympus are still offering both the rangefinder and SLR-style cameras.

I hope not, but I just find it difficult to imagine them selling two separate series of Emount bodies concurrently. I thought that they would have 'DSLR' shape at the low-end and 'rangefinder' at the high end, but obviously (well, if the SAR rumour is true) that isn't going to be the case

Not necessarily. It's very complicated. They will sell whatever product makes money and drop whatever doesn't. And Son's secrecy has been a very good strategy for them. They're still getting top[ dollar for ageing NEX cameras. In contrast, Panasonic had to dump many thousands of m43 G5 and GX1 models for less than 1/2 price after very short production runs..in the case of the G5, it was only 6 months and they brought out the G6. LOTS of bad planning may cause Panasonic's failure, one day.

PS: Olympus and Sony are now teamed up, much in the way that Minolta and Sony were, once upon a time. Will Olympus get completely taken over one day by Sony management teams? Just asking some questions.

Interesting point

The story I heard about the Minolta takeover (I think it was from David Kilpatrick on the Sony Alpha Forum here) was that Sony never intended to takeover Minolta's business but that Minolta decided to cut-and-run as soon as the deal was signed and they left Sony 'holding the baby'!

Oly are well-established in the digital photography field. If Sony 'absorbed' them all that would happen would be for Panasonic to get a bunch more customers as former Oly owners would have to chose between the two companies. Sony would be better advised leaving Oly as a separate company covering the M43rds market and borrowing their technology where appropriate (forget IBIS, I want the Oly JPEG engine!) for E-mount and A-mount

Again, agreed. Big plus for Ollie is getting Sony's best sensors. Panasonic doesn't get them. Big plus for NEX if FF develops will be getting Ollies' 5-axis gyroscopic IBIS.

Also..new rumors now that Ollie and Fuji might be making FF mirrorless cameras. Do I care?

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Samsung NX1000 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow