D800 Portrait Lens Battle!

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to Shotcents, Oct 4, 2013

Now I'm working on a detailed shootout between the Tamron 90 VC and the Nikon 85 1.8G....but here's a quick comparison on Bokeh!

At close range the Tamron 90 VC (like all Macro lenses) is forced off the 2.8 and operates in the 3.2-3.5 range instead. So I set the Nikon 85 1.8G accordingly to make the bokeh battle fair.

Not a huge difference, but I do think the Tamron has the edge. On a different note, you might think the Tamron 90 VC has a warmer rendering, but it's actually more color accurate to the scene. The Nikon is cooler.

With the Nikon wide open at 1.8 it's FAR superior! With a background that is not far behind the subject the 1.8 is really creating excellent subject isolation. And for the record the 1.8G is VERY sharp even wide open, very impressive. Oddly the Nikon is warmer here, too warm in fact. The Tamron really did not color shift as much.

And of course the Tamron has it's own unique ability in being able to focus MUCH closer than the Nikon and create super-creamy bokeh. Applications for this type of shooting are more limited of course.

Two outstanding lenses with specific strengths and few weaknesses.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow