D800 Portrait Lens Battle!

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,932Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to PhotoKaz, 11 months ago

Okay....first of all. The 70-200 VRII is TACK SHARP wide open. There is VERY little difference at F4. You need a good copy and it should be carefully AF tuned if you're looking for every bit of resolution the lens is capable of.

Let's compare the 70-200 VRII wide open at 2.8 at 200mm vs. the 85mm G lens at 2.8 and the Tamron 90 VC Macro which was forced at 3.2. The master shot looked like this....

And the crops (I changed distance to make the framing same-sized)....

My assessment....The Nikon 70-200 VRII wide open at 2.8 has less false color than the 85mm 1.8G.

Since the 85 has no image stablization the VC and VR lenses had a advantage there. In reality the 1.8G is a TINY bit sharper than the 70-200 VRII at 2.8. But I'm posting these crops because there are showing PRACTICAL results, typical of shooting handheld. As I expected, the Tamron 90 VC is best here. Sharpness and color are perfect. The only advantage left for the 85mm is it's considerably superior low light capability.

But I hope this puts to rest any questions about the VRII, which is as sharp as anything wide open for all practical concerns and at 200mm to boot! Yes, the Tamron 90 is sharpest, but it's not enough for any sane person to say the VRII needs to be stopped down to F4. If you believe that then you need to replace your VRII or make adjustments!

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow