Is the NEX-5T the last NEX camera?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,548Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the NEX-5T the last NEX camera?
In reply to MrTaikitso, 10 months ago

MrTaikitso wrote:

I have owned a 5R and know what superb IQ you can get from an NEX, however, to be 100% impartial and analytical...

1. I was looking in the window of a popular camera shop here in the UK and saw a triangle of brand new boxed 5R + PZ kits priced at, wait for it, £349.95. I bought the very same kit 6 months ago from John Lewis for £600. It then fell to £500. (And I got the difference back.) They are obviously not selling well, even if the 5T has replaced the 5R.

2. The NEX suffers a problem that I as a UX (user experience) guy spotted right away, and that is that it is not an accessible camera, even the 6/7, despite more knobs, are not. Rather than two labelled tactile foolproof dials, such as on a typical Canon, Nikon or Sony full size DSLR, the NEX rely on a fiddly rear dial (that doubles as a flash etc selector) not to mention a nightmare of a menu interface. And further, the smallish buttons and controls are not suited to larger hands. Hence...

3. ...when I am in London, I saw most NEX in the hands of, yes, Japanese! (I went to a huge event and counted 5 NEX including mine and hundreds of regular DSLRs. Not even any Micro 4/3ds.)

4. Ergonomics are what make people pick up a device and want it, beyond any bling factor. It is what sells the iPhone and is currently selling the Panasonic GX7, because the second you pick it up, it fits like a glove. You can quickly set the Mode dial to M, twiddle the dials and feel like a photographer, not a young gamer with a Nintendo DS.

5. And then there is the lens issue.

I rest my case m'lud.

Judge: I sentence you to a new mechanical control layout (with chunky grippy labelled dials), an all new intuitive touch screen menu interface, a compact zoom like the new Panasonic 14-140 and a spanking 20mm f1.8 prime that's so thin you can plop the whole shebang into your regular pocket.

Court adjourned.

In order for Sony-NEX to fix the fiddly menu/control problem all they would need to do is provide a Super Control Panel just like Olympus.' The SCP is available by one touch on the control dial and about ten common items such as ISO can be changed from there, directly. In fact, NEX already HAS what looks like a SCP...the black and white information table. Olympus has taken that a couple of steps further.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow