Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started Oct 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 32,226
Like?
Re: Excellent example!
In reply to Great Bustard, Oct 3, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Horshack wrote:

IMO the two biggest benefits of ISOless shooting are dynamic range and not having to worry about image brightness at the time of shooting. For the latter if you're shooting in conditions that would otherwise require elevated ISO you simply set the ISO to base (or to whatever level is optimal for that sensor) and never worry about setting ISO thereafter.

The example, pushed 5EV in post. Notice how the image on the television is retained by shooting at ISO 100. If I had shot at ISO 3200 the TV image would have been blown out.

Oriignal (ISO 100)

Post-processed

Nicely demonstrated!

On all the cameras I have there actually is an IQ compromise when shooting at base ISO. For example on my D800 there is more noise and shadow tinting when using ISO 100 pushed to ISO 3200/6400 than when shooting at ISO 800 and pushed to the same output brightness.

Interesting. According to sensorgen's figures (derived from DxOMark data), that should not be the case. That said, I've heard that some (most?) RAW converters may make use of the ISO setting information in the conversion. For example, an ISO 100 file will be converted differently than an ISO 800 file, based on assumptions about the scene as a function of the selected ISO. Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this.

According to Bill Claff the D800/D800e read noise decreases from app. 4.2 e- at ISO 100 to app. 2.7 e- at ISO 800.

That might explain the issue, but why the discrepancy between Bill Claff (4.2 e- at base ISO) and sensorgen (2.7 e- at base ISO)?

I think that I believe Bill's figure more. The sensorgen one looks a bit anomalous:

The 200 ISO figure is 3.6 and 400 3.3, so 4.2 would fit. In the end, Bill's data is more accurate.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow