Started Oct 3, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
davewilliams000
Forum MemberPosts: 66Gear list
Like?
Making the jump to DSLR... advice?
Oct 3, 2013

I currently have a Panasonic FZ20 bridge camera (5MP 36 - 432mm equiv. F2.8), and I'm wanting to make the jump to DSLR to get better shots and learn more about photography.

I am pretty much sold on the Sony D-SLTs as I think I would find it strange going to an optical viewfinder.. i.e. not being able to see the effects of exposure/apeture/etc through the viewfinder.

After reading some reviews, I'm thinking of going for the A-65 (which is really at the limits of my budget) with the standard 18-55mm lens, and then adding the tamron SP 70-300 after a few months, as without that I think I'd miss the zoom from the FZ20.

The A-58 is probabbly more in the price range of what I should be spending right now(!) but this camera is going to have to last me many years (I've had the FZ20 for 8 years now), and I feel like there is a lot of things that would be missing from the 58 compared to the 65 [not necessarily straight away, but after I've gained some knowledge].

Just wanting to get some thoughts if this sounds sensible, or am I starting with too expensive a camera for a beginner? I've looked at the A-57 as on most accounts its somewhere inbetween the 2 with features, but the prices are around the same as the A-65.

Thanks for your input,

Dave

davewilliams000's gear list:davewilliams000's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II +8 more
ANSWER:
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow