canon 5d mark III w/ helios 58mm f2 (44-2)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
clarkent1234
Forum MemberPosts: 78
Like?
Re: that is awesome!
In reply to Lemming51, 11 months ago

clarkent1234 wrote:

For those of you unfamiliar with the helios 44-2 and enjoy swirly bokeh, you got some researching to do!

quick little history lesson, russians stole this lens design after wwII ended from carl zeiss (biotar 58mm)

many different helios 58mm lenses made, i own 3....but the 44-2 is the one that can really swirl.

I did a cursory search of Helio 44 and found there are 44, 44-2, 44-3, 44-4, 44-5, 44-6, 44-7.  They all appear to be the same formula of 6 elements in 4 groups, some with 8-blade others with 6-blade apertures, some single coated others multicoated.

Shot wide open, I wouldn't expect the aperture blade number or coatings to impact the bokeh.  What makes one model more "swirly" than another?

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

I have no idea, I've read countless "reasons" why some swirl and others don't. I've read some users saying they can't get the 44-2 to swirl either. I own the 44-2 (these photos) 44m, and 44m-4. The other 2 barely have any movement to the bokeh. So maybe it's in the coatings.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow