Is the NEX-5T the last NEX camera?

Started Oct 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,729Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the NEX-5T the last NEX camera?
In reply to captura, Oct 3, 2013

captura wrote:

Is the NEX-6 on a 2 year cycle, or a no-year cycle?

NEX-6 and NEX-5R always struck me as slightly odd models as they are so similar: it was like two different design concepts for the same product.  I wonder if this is what actually happened and as the Sony team couldn't decide which one to release they decided to produce both and sell at slightly different price points..?  Just speculation on my part

I also get the feeling that the NEX-5R wasn't designed by the same people that did the two previous NEX-5 models as various detail changes really 'jar' with the original concept: strap holding lugs, button colour, inversed LCD with resistive instead of capacitative screen and removal of protective screen and light sensor, plastic used for the top plate.  I wonder if there were changes in the NEX design team and if so then why those changes happened?  Again, just speculation on my part

It would be interesting to know what happened in the NEX team between the time that the 5N and 7 were designed and the time that the 5R and 6 were developed, and also which out of the 5R and 6 was the more popular in the market

I wonder if the 5T is basically a 'single run' product which is using-up left-over parts from both the 5R and 6, with a view to both models being replaced early next year by a single new model with a new sensor (an A5000?)?  The NFC in the 5T would have certainly earned the NEX team 'brownie points' internally within Sony for it's compatibility with the Xperia Z1, Xperia Tablet Z and 2013 Bravia TVs - incidentally I got to play with an Xperia Tablet Z yesterday: very nice piece of kit! (though I still bought the Nexus 10, but only because it was half the price and I intend to use it primarily as a development machine, where current android updates are important)

Anyhow, I am surprised that SAR rumors should continued to be taken so seriously. Even some of their "SR5" rumors have failed to materialize.

Very true

However, here are a few more clues, which may support your claim:

Not a 'claim' as I have no information suggesting this is actually the case.  Just one possible interpretation of what might be happening - but I don't like it and really hope that things don't go this way

- no hint of revised NEX-6 or NEX7 models. The NEX-7x model is overdue..what happened?

The SAR admin is saying that the A7 will be 'really cheap', though not as 'cheap' as a NEX-7 (is $1200 'cheap'?).  Perhaps the A7 is now intended as the NEX-7 uprade, or at least Sony are hoping to pickup a few customers from those who would otherwise have bought a NEX-7?

I wonder if the NEX-6 will share the same replacement camera as the NEX-5T?

- the NEX-9 was definitely fully developed, but was it withdrawn from introduction?

Could Sony release a NEX-9 as well as these models?  I really wish Sony would tell us clearly what their plans for A and E mount are as I'm getting fed up with being jerked around by these rumours

- seeming virtual certainty that more upscale follow-up models after the SLR-body ILC A-3000 (ie: A7, A7r?) will soon be introduced indicates a change of direction by Sony.

But would Sony abandon the NEX rangefinder-style body altogether? Even Panasonic and Olympus are still offering both the rangefinder and SLR-style cameras.

I hope not, but I just find it difficult to imagine them selling two separate series of Emount bodies concurrently.  I thought that they would have 'DSLR' shape at the low-end and 'rangefinder' at the high end, but obviously (well, if the SAR rumour is true) that isn't going to be the case

I can only conclude that Sony has had some major shifts in their plans over the past year or so.

Yes, I have that feeling as well.  I think there must have been a lot of politics in the NEX area over the last couple of years and I would imagine that relations between the E-mount and A-mount teams were probably not that good

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow