Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PhilPreston3072
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662Gear list
Like?
Re: examples where increasing brightness in post is better than increasing ISO.
In reply to ultimitsu, 9 months ago

ultimitsu wrote:

PhilPreston3072 wrote:

Put it this way, did the poster do all he possibly can to preserve highlights when using high ISO? If he did not then I don't know why he's complaining about lost highlight detail. When it comes to lowlight shooting, highlights are much easier to preserve than deep shadows.

When high iso is chosen by the metering system, it is never about high light preservation, it is about overall brightness of the resulting jpeg having "proper brightness" - which is 18% grey.

What you are saying is that people shouldn't do that, they should save highlight using lower iso and brighten the image in processing - that is exactly what "shoot low iso then brighten in post" is all about. You understand the need, obviously. But you insist on arguing otherwise with this thread merely because other people have said it first. It seems narcissistic to me.

All along I've been saying the ISO6400 shot wasn't given a fair chance.  You don't go blowing highlights in raw and then cry out there's no highlight detail.  The ISO6400 shot was doomed to fail.  Some people look at that example and think it's a new commandment to never use high ISO.

PhilPreston3072's gear list:PhilPreston3072's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow