Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
Re: Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes
In reply to kkx, Oct 3, 2013

kkx wrote:

If I understand things correctly, the 5DM3 alpha version work without the bootflag.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2602.0

Is this what was requested here? I.e. you can install the alpha version to "run" ML. But once you power off the camera, ML is gone. Since no boot flag is set, you will need to rerun the firmware install again go run ML.

Alex set it up this way because with current bootflag situation, this is the safest way to run ML on 5DM3. As Alex have advised, if you turn off auto-power-off, you will not lost ML accidentally.

I have not try this yet. Still working out if I want to downgrade to 1.1.3 permanently (need to check the list for what I will miss from 1.2.1).

-kk

Yes it's true the alpha version doesn't use autoboot, however it is really old - there are a huge number of very useful features that have been added since that version (including dot-tune which we were just discussing in relation to this). I'd say give it a try if you're curious, but bear in mind that the latest ML code is vastly improved over the alpha version.

Here's a list of features that were added or fixed in the 1.2.1 firmware:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51381286

The only one I personally care about is AF at f/8 but I'm happy to trade that off for the extra features ML provides.

Note of course that you can switch between 1.1.3 and 1.2.1 as often as you like, though it is a bit of a pain and also carries a slight risk each time you do so.

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow