EA50, FS100 or something else? Which makes more sense starting out?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Camtastic
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?
EA50, FS100 or something else? Which makes more sense starting out?
11 months ago

Ive been in corporate video for 8 years now and am getting into Wedding video on the side as well as other personal projects. I am trying to decide which camera to start saving for. The company I work for in my day job has a couple of Z1u's an Ex3 and a couple of FS100's. Needless to say we like our Sonys. I've been able to rent them when I need them but really want to get to the point where Im self sufficient.

I am looking for something that can work in a run and gun situation, gets a good picture even in lowlight and won't empty my wallet too fast with all the extras Id need. I currently have a Sony A77 DSLR with a few alpha mount lenses so being able to mount those on any camera I get would be a bonus indeed and I know from experience the AF works with the NEX cameras with the right adapter.

Last December I demoed a Sony NEX-EA50 and honestly loved everything about it except the low light performance. The ergonomics made it fantastic for a run and gun camera and the E-mount lens system is the same as the FS100, although I prefer the power zoom lens with the EA50 rocker. Now for the price of this camera currently I can also get a used FS100. Honestly, from personal experience the ergonomics fall into the lame category for run and gun without building a rig but the image quality is fantastic in low light with the Super 35 sensor. I think the perfect combo for me would be the EA50 with the Super 35 sensor but as that does not exist I need to compromise.

Id like to stay away from tape based cameras and the media on the XDCAM is way too expensive. Ive started considering the BMCC 2.5k based on price point but once you add media and lenses it starts getting up there fast and from what I understand the battery doesn't last long. Ive also considered the Canon C100 and the 5D mark 2 and 3 but getting into canon lenses on top of the body purchase price is spendy.

Maybe Im too spoiled with the nice cameras at the day job and the way they work with my alpha lenses. Im trying to keep an open mind and appreciate any insights.

Thanks for your time...

Cameron

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow