D800 Portrait Lens Battle!

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
clarnibass
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to Shotcents, 11 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

But I'm curious, what are you shooting that makes 2.8 pro glass too slow? I also own faster primes, but they have their limitations as well, which is why I also own a lens like the 70-200 VRII.

I guess I'll try to compare the non-VC vs. VC myself and see if there's a difference signfiicant enough for me. I just wanted to know there is a difference, or else I woudln't even bother trying the new model.

As far as what I'm shooting, in general I can say it's mostly low light concerts and performances. That doesn't really say much. It's also not that a f/2.8 zoom would be useless to me, it's just that it's slow comapred with f/1.8 lenses. I would crop less so that might compensate for the 1/3 of a stop in ISO (guesstimating). The more than full stop overall would just mean I'd be at ISO 12800 very often, ISO 6400 when I can be on 3200 and ISO 3200 when I can be on 1600. This alone is enough for me to prefer the primes, but their much bigger size and weight is yet another huge disadvantage for me (don't really have a problem carrying them, just really don't like big heavy lenses).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow