Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Atgard
Regular MemberPosts: 427Gear list
Like?
Re: Preferred compromise
In reply to bobn2, 11 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Let's say that in low light I really don't want to use a slower shutter speed than 1/60 sec, but maybe that'll require ISO 3200 to get a 'properly exposed' image with the correct/preferred brightness, and then I'll maybe choose 1/30, ISO 1600 as the preferred compromise instead.

Why would you? The extra camera shake will damage your image more than the extra noise, guaranteed.

I think it depends. Unless you're shooting an object moving at a constant speed, you're never exactly sure what shutter speed you need to freeze the action (with people, for example). You should have a general idea, but you can shoot 5 shots at the same shutter speed and 2 might have no motion blur, while 3 do. Someone may move more quickly, or not move very much in that fraction of a second.

Often, I will try to get away with a lower ISO (for less noise) with a slightly slower shutter speed than I think I need, and take several shots, hoping to get one sharp one.

I would rather have 1 sharp shot at ISO 800 and 4 that I throw away due to motion blur, than just 1 sharp shot at ISO 1600.

I think your argument that setting ISO first always "underexposes" is assuming that for every shot, you can know the exact shutter speed you need in advance, and I think in reality it doesn't usually work quite that way. I think there will be times you end up with "extra" or "wasted" shutter speed and other times your subject moves more quickly than normal.

Atgard's gear list:Atgard's gear list
Sony SLT-A37
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow