Started Oct 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Marianne Oelund
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,625Gear list
Like?
Nikon Service: Minor filter-ring dent "causes" major AF failure
Oct 2, 2013

My 70-200/2.8 VR II has seen very little use this year.  The last time that I did use it, operation was entirely normal, but when I took it back out of my camera bag to use again, the AF motor wouldn't run.  This was confirmed by several camera bodies, as a lens fault.

A few months passed before I finally got around to taking the lens to my camera dealer, Kenmore Camera, to submit to Nikon for warranty service, as it was still within the Nikon USA 5-year extended lens warranty period.  That was early July.

It was mid-August before I received the first status report:  Warranty denied due to impact damage.  Cost of repair about $480.

Because I only use the lens indoors, perched atop a monopod or tripod, have never subjected it to any impacts at all, and keep it in a padded camera bag when not in use, it didn't seem plausible that Nikon service could be claiming impact damage.  After requesting more information, they sent this photo:

It's admittedly a mystery how and when this small damage occurred (I had been completely unaware of it and strongly suspect that it occurred after the AF failure), but regardless, it's not the level of damage that could possibly affect the internal operation of the lens.

In the end, Nikon USA were completely unwilling to be reasonable about the matter.  To my benefit, the camera dealer stepped in and covered the cost of repair (yet another reason to patronize your local dealer - could you imagine any online dealer doing this for a customer?).

The real damage, of course, is to my relationship with Nikon.  The probability of any future purchases of Nikon gear to be used in my business is precisely zero.  It's the end of an era in my photographic pursuits.  I'll continue using the gear that I have until it wears out or needs major service, but any new cameras or lenses that I acquire for professional use will not bear the Nikon name.

-- hide signature --

Qualities possessed by God in infinite proportion: Love, Grace, Power, Righteousness, Wisdom, . . .
Qualities possessed by humans in infinite proportion: Ignorance.
- Marianne

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow