Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes
In reply to RS_RS, 6 months ago

RS_RS wrote:

I had assumed that the bootflag story was pretty much as you have described it – a Canon developers' facility that it is convenient for ML to use – but it is interesting to have this confirmed. So what is really needed is, separately from ML itself, a totally reliable tool to unset it.

Exactly. It's worth bearing in mind that it can never be totally reliable, but the same is true for any process that modifies the internal storage. That's why Canon warn you to have fully charged batteries, not to push any buttons etc when upgrading their own firmware - it's an inherently risky process should the write get interrupted or go awry.

Because I have no interest in video, ML has been something of only marginal value to me and not worth spending time on. The introduction of automatic DotTune AF microadjustment potentially changes that. Since it is a facility that is not needed on the camera except when adjusting for a fresh lens, it would sit very well with a version of ML independent of the bootflag.

You make a really interesting point here and it is probably worth enquiring about on the ML forums to see if anyone's willing to have a stab at making that happen. It would certainly make ML more accessible to people who just want to take it for a test drive or just use dot-tune as a one-off. I can even imagine a special purpose "dot-tune.fir" file providing just that feature and nothing else.

FWIW I don't use video either but have grown to be somewhat dependent on the true RAW histogram, ETTR hint, Auto-ETTR, dual-ISO, MLU+self timer and advanced bracketing features in particular, not to mention the countless UI tweaks. Not sure I could go back!

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow