Like?
Re: How can I keep my D-600 when...
In reply to Steve Bingham, 10 months ago

Steve Bingham wrote:

vortex09 wrote:

Steve Bingham wrote:

vortex09 wrote:

My experience with the D600 dust/oil problem:

- I've received two refub bodies with severe cases. Both arrived with *filthy* sensors right out of the box, too.

- Before I purchased refurb, I was looking for used copies. I asked four potential sellers to provide me with f/22 white wall or blue sky tests. All four came showed "the problem," with numerous and disproportionate spots in the upper-left quadrant.

- A friend purchased a new D600 about three months ago, June 2013. After only 400 actuations, there are numerous spots, with a clear bias toward the upper-left quadrant.

So in my sample of 7 bodies, all unequivocally exhibited the dust/oil problem.

I've come to suspect strongly that most or all D600 copies are affected. And with all due respect, when I see posts that claim "mine doesn't have it!," my default assumption is that the user simply doesn't shoot at small apertures and hasn't bothered testing for the issue. Perhaps there are *some* relatively clean D600 sensors, but I'm betting the majority of claims that a body is totally unaffected are explained by a lack of thorough testing. (And before anyone says something like "if they have to do a thorough test to find it, then obviously it's not a big deal:" that all depends on your use case.

A really bad assumption. Mine works great. Please check my background.

If you do nothing but portraits, fine; if you're all landscapes like me, it's inevitably going to have a real effect on your images).

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Steve, would you mind sharing the first 3 digits on your SN? I'm really hoping to track down a good copy, but not sure how many times the retailer will let me exchange before they decide I'm too much trouble.

Hope this helps. 3060xxxx. Purchased from B&H 1-3-2013.

-- hide signature --

Steve Bingham
www.dustylens.com
www.ghost-town-photography.com

Does someone know the secret to the serial numbers? Is there a specific set that's turning up dusty?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow