Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes

Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes
In reply to yodermk, Oct 2, 2013

yodermk wrote:

I tried booting the camera both with no cards in at all, and with just an SD card that I had used before installing ML. In both cases I got a grey screen that said something like "Update file not found. Please reload battery and try again."

After inserting the SD card with the ML files, the camera would boot.

Not sure what the difference is in our setups.

OK this definitely isn't normal, I'm sorry I missed this earlier in the discussion. It sounds like the firmware in the camera itself (or, less likely, the camera's configuration saved on internal flash) is in an unknown state. It doesn't sound like this is a new problem or ML specific (eg http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/1690293), though in your case it seems likely that something went wrong during your ML upgrade process to trigger it.

Did you downgrade from 1.2.1 to 1.1.3 by any chance? If so did you get any errors, did it complete unexpectedly early, was power lost, were any buttons pressed, card door opened etc during that process?

There are a couple of things you could try:

1) Re-download and re-flash the Canon 1.1.3 firmware (either in-camera or via EOS Utility).

2) Factory reset the camera (via "Clear all camera settings") to return to default camera settings.

It is also worth double-checking you have the 5D3 version of ML. Using a ML build that's for a different camera is understandably a bad idea.

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow