Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Jack Hogan
Senior MemberPosts: 3,847Gear list
Like?
Re: You might be right, you might be wrong
In reply to rubank, 11 months ago

rubank wrote:

Here you have a comparison between Photivo, RawTherapee, CaptureOne, an ISO 400 underexposed shot that has been heavily lifted. All noise reduction and sharpening disabled.
For measure, an ACR conversion of the same scene as a more "normal" exposure at ISO 6400.

As far as I´m concerned the RT colour is off.
RT using "neutral" profile, exp slider +4,95.

Ok, good example. There is enough tonal difference between the four to show that each renders color slightly differently.  The RT 'Neutral' image is normally the least processed - some call it the most 'accurate' - and thus also normally the least pleasing.  Assuming you don't have any out of gamut colors there, and you white balanced each converter by sampling a neutral gray object in the scene, I would tend to trust RT most.

On the other hand the point here was to show the ISO400 and ISO6400* Raw images rendered side by side by the same converter. If I had to choose one, I would choose RT for the reasons above.

Jack

* You know that ISO6400 on a D800 is really ISO1600 pushed 2 stops digitally in-camera before writing data to the Raw file, right? So with this example you'd really only be showing the effects of a 2 stop push (from 400 to 1600).

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow