Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: Examples
In reply to bobn2, 10 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

rubank wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

rubank wrote:

The simple fact is
that you have to choose: will you sacrifice the highlights or the shadows. With a scene where the DR is beyond what your camera can capture in a single exposure, this choice is of greater importance than what ISO routine you prefer.

Do you want to preserve highlights it is often better to choose underexposure at low ISO, at the cost of shadow colour and noise (esp. banding). If shadows are more important it is often better to choose high ISO, at the cost of highlight rendering.

Heavy shadow lifting commonly leeds to colour shift and banding noise, at least with badly lit scenery where major parts of the image is in deep shadow.
In daylight situations with minor parts of the image in deep shadow, lifting in post is mostly not a problem (unless you have an ISO-full camera).

These are my findings, based on extensive practice and not on science.

The point about knowing the science is that it lets you take out of the loop a lot of the 'extensive practice'.

Extensive practice has a lot of other benefits. You need 10 000 hours of practice (whatever you engage in) to get proficient. Try it.

That's afigure plucked out of the air with no evidence.

Actually not
http://www.wisdomgroup.com/blog/10000-hours-of-practice/

The point is that science provides direction much faster than trial and error.

There is no such contradiction. Most science is based on trial and error.

That's the reason for the increasing pace of technology - if we wee still developing by trial and error, we'd still be in the bronze age.

That is, if you know what's going on, you have a fir idea what's going to work in the first place,

I do.

But not as good as if you sat down and understood what's going on underneath.

You jump to conclusions about my understanding. Keep your comments to what you know.

and particularly, how do you choose between this 'highlight' and 'shadow' DR.

The answer is quite simple in the end, you meter the highlights to take them just up to the limit and then get as much shadow legroom as you need.

The point of my post was that sometimes the scene DR is beyond the capacity of a single exposure and you do not always want to favour the highlights. Shadow footroom or highlight headroom is, in such a case, a matter of preference and choice. ETTR might not be the answer.

Sure, and in those situations, knowing what's happening gives you better information to make the compromise

From simple answer to compromise requiring good information. You´re going forward, good.

I´m sure you´ll get better with practice too:)

You never know,

Yes, I know. You will get better with practice.

I might be better than you already.

Of course you might, but I have serious doubts.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow