Started Sep 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 215Gear list
Like?
Re: Just installed Magic Lantern on the 5D3 - some initial notes
In reply to Plastek, Oct 2, 2013

Plastek wrote:

RedYeti wrote:

Addressing the general negative comments from this thread: Something to bear in mind is that ML is still rapidly evolving, worked on by volunteers in their spare time,

Not really a good excuse for the attitude.

Perhaps not, but I fully understand why they can sometimes come across as blunt, curt or dismissive. The reality is they get a constant stream of people with unrealistic expectations and demands who ask the same unreasonable or under researched questions and then get snappy when they don't like the answer they're given. That takes its toll on the devs who would much rather be spending time coding.

You may or may not agree with the attitude, but this page does a good job of explaining why it is that way: http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Note that page has pagerank of 7, ie it is as popular as DPReview's homepage. I've seen it frequently referred to by most every technical community I've been involved in, the issues covered are certainly not unique to ML.

Even more so when people actually would want to pay ML crew to implement a feature that's important from photographic point of view.

The developers have never accepted money for anything other than test hardware and it's likely that will continue to be the case. As far as I can tell money is not a motivating factor for most of them, not to mention there is a concern that by accepting payments they will open themselves up to legal action. Regardless, from what I remember of the last couple of "I'll pay" requests, the amount offered was laughably low considering the hours that would have needed to go in to fulfilling the request.

That aside, consider the difference between taking photos for your own personal pleasure, and taking photos for a paying client. If you didn't need or want the money, which would you prefer?

RedYeti wrote:

If you don't like that then either don't use ML at all or get involved and try to address the issues yourself by actively contributing documentation or code, or by helping people on the forums. Complaining about it here really doesn't help the situation.

As said - ATTITUDE. You really should work on it. Just like most of the other people on ML forums.

I really don't know what to say. As Shield3 pointed out elsewhere in this thread the "General Help" and "Camera Emergency" forums seem to work pretty well as far as I can tell, with users supporting each other and the devs stepping in occasionally to help when they can too. The biggest source of problems seem to be people asking FAQ questions in the dev threads and the like. It's not perfect by any means but again given the voluntary nature of the project I wouldn't expect it to be.

Speaking of attitude, I at least am trying to help the odd person on the ML forums where I can, and I hope to soon be contributing some code. As far as I can tell all you have done is join in to this thread to complain.

And he cannot stop using that because it's "one-way-or-brick" installation.

ML is NOT a "one-way-or-brick" installation. He CAN stop using ML, he just can't remove the bootflag (well he can, but the risk is probably unacceptably high right now). Please stop beating that dead horse.

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow