Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,988Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to clarnibass, Oct 2, 2013

clarnibass wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

As for the Tamron: It's sharper, focuses much closer, has a bit more reach, has VC, bokeh is probably better (still looking!), and the AF is very fast and more acurate. It's a different tool, but it can do a lot of what the 1.8G can do and some of it clearly better due to close focus and VC.

All nice advantages but the slow f/2.8 aperture kills it for me for any non-macro use. I found that the f/1.8 aperture is exactly the right one for me. The f/1.4 lenses are not worth their price to me, a poor value. The f/2.8 lenses are far too slow for what I want.

Do you know how this lens (the Tamron 90mm VC) compares with the previous non-VC Tamron 90mm macro lens, when both on a tripod? Is the macro sharpness/resolution signficiantly better? I'm specifically interested to know about any advantage it might have in this type of comparison. The VC, non-extending focus, etc. are all nice things that won't be useful to me at all when shooting slowly on a tripod. If it's significantly better, I'll consider it.

I owned the Tamron 90 DI 2.8, Nikon 105vr, Tamron 180 Macro, Nikon 105 Micro.

The new Tamron is superior in sharpness to all of them. Only the Sigma 150 rivals it.

But I'm curious, what are you shooting that makes 2.8 pro glass too slow? I also own faster primes, but they have their limitations as well, which is why I also own a lens like the 70-200 VRII.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow