Started Aug 2, 2012 | Discussions thread
Colin46
Senior MemberPosts: 1,038
Like?
Re: Way interesting
In reply to Ednaz, 11 months ago

Ednaz wrote:

Robin Casady wrote:

An uncle of mine used to run the quality control dept. for machining at Lawrence Livermore Labs. He told me that they occasionally would get a new machinist who was a "ruster". Whenever he touched steel he would leave fingerprints that rusted. They would send the ruster over to medical for a diet change, and the problem was usually solved.

That's really cool. Acid reduction diet, I'd bet?

I'm a magnetizer. Over the years I've owned several mechanical auto-winding watches, from really inexpensive to some really over the top models. If I wear one of them for a couple of months non-stop, it will stop running. If I leave it in a drawer or something, after several months, it'll run OK again. It happened to me for years, living in many different parts of the world in many different jobs, so there really couldn't be an environmental cause.

I took one (of the really nice ones) to a watch repair place and complained about it stopping, and one of the first questions I was asked was whether I'd experienced automatic watches stopping on me before. The repairman degaussed the watch, which started running just fine... and ran just fine for several months until it stopped again.

Sold all my mechanical watches. Haven't been able to apply my "talent" to moving metal objects across a table...

Buy a Rolex milgausse, problem solved

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow