Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bobn2
Forum ProPosts: 30,009
Like?
Re: Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.
In reply to Andreas Stuebs, 11 months ago

Andreas Stuebs wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Andre Affleck wrote:

People using the ISO first technique will vary rarely set the maximum exposure

Not true, one starts raising ISO when they are already aperture and shutter limited.

Bob says - "people using ISO first technique".

Ok, then I have to question as to how using the method somehow makes one think of ISO first. Its always the last result, after exposure is maximized, regardless of ones understanding of exposure.

Interesting to do a poll, see whether most photographers set the ISO first or last. My guess is first, because the camera user interface is designed that way.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Will that poll actually be representative? Most people who write in this forum tend to know more about the mechanisms of digital photography than average.

And people don't always give the real answer. There's a big tendency for people to give the answer they ought to give, and of course its a self selecting sample, and the questions need to be very carefully designed and all that stuff. Still, quite a few people here seem to be quite willing to pronounce on what most people do without an iota of evidence.

I admit I have (at least) two modes of photography - in the snapshooting mode I even sometimes use the "IA" setting offered on my Panasonic. And in that mode I tend to set the ISO first, then try and get a reasonable DOF and keep an eye on the exposure time to avoid shutter speed. If I am in the more serious mode, I work differently.

Which is all very reasonable. In fact, it would be silly to spend all this effort honing your technique to the n'th degree just to take snaps. Of course, what's galling is when the snaps turn out to be your best photos.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow