D800 Portrait Lens Battle!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
clarnibass
Contributing MemberPosts: 923
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to Shotcents, 6 months ago

Shotcents wrote:

As for the Tamron: It's sharper, focuses much closer, has a bit more reach, has VC, bokeh is probably better (still looking!), and the AF is very fast and more acurate. It's a different tool, but it can do a lot of what the 1.8G can do and some of it clearly better due to close focus and VC.

All nice advantages but the slow f/2.8 aperture kills it for me for any non-macro use. I found that the f/1.8 aperture is exactly the right one for me. The f/1.4 lenses are not worth their price to me, a poor value. The f/2.8 lenses are far too slow for what I want.

Do you know how this lens (the Tamron 90mm VC) compares with the previous non-VC Tamron 90mm macro lens, when both on a tripod? Is the macro sharpness/resolution signficiantly better? I'm specifically interested to know about any advantage it might have in this type of comparison. The VC, non-extending focus, etc. are all nice things that won't be useful to me at all when shooting slowly on a tripod. If it's significantly better, I'll consider it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow