Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shotcents
Senior MemberPosts: 3,961Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to clarnibass, Oct 2, 2013

clarnibass wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

Factor in the price? Nikon 85f1.8G by a mile.

With the rebate I got the Tamron for 650.00. For 150.00 more I have a lens that's a bit slower, but capable of even better bokeh and sharpness and it has VC and top-tier macro. I think it's a tie!

Yes, but this varies. I rarely use the 85mm at apertures above f/2.2 and very often at f/1.8-f/2.2. The Tamron 90mm would simply not have it. I shoot macro almost always slowly with a tripod. So for me a 90mm f/2.8 wouldn't be so useful other than as a macro so...

Is the new VC model significantly better than the previous non-VC model for macro?

There's no arguing the 1.8 constant. That's the reason why I'll keep it! The 1.8G is a world class lens.

As for the Tamron: It's sharper, focuses much closer, has a bit more reach, has VC, bokeh is probably better (still looking!), and the AF is very fast and more acurate. It's a different tool, but it can do a lot of what the 1.8G can do and some of it clearly better due to close focus and VC.

As a macro it's superior to the 105vr and on par with the Sigma 150. The close focus, macro and detail are wonderful...note that these are handheld with moving subjects (including the plant!)...so the sharpness potential is even higher. Also note the bokeh behind the child's head, only possible at this distance of course.

Seems like a slick lens! But, like I said, it is a different tool to some degree.

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow