Pls show examples where increasing brightness in post better than increasing ISO.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
PhilPreston3072
Senior MemberPosts: 1,688Gear list
Like?
Re: examples where increasing brightness in post is better than increasing ISO.
In reply to gollywop, 9 months ago

gollywop wrote:

Well, not exactly missing the point since you didn't say "reduce ISO" to begin with; you said "reduce exposure." That's a rather different thing, and there certainly was no need to reduce exposure -- which is the point we guys were making.

Also, not having taken the shot, and not having familiarity with the D7000, I don't know just what indication Pierre had or didn't have as to what was being clipped. One of the problems with shooting with high ISO to achieve a desired degree of brightness in-camera is that you often don't have control over (proper indication of) highlight clipping.

With an ISO-invariant camera like the D7000, shooting at base ISO and applying brightening in processing gives you far more control in avoiding such problems. There is no need to take the chance with in-camera ISO.

I'm afraid you are still missing the point.  If you're testing ISO6400 performance and finding that highlights are clipping then of course you have to reduce exposure.

Most, if not all DSLRs will show 'blinkys' and histograms to show highlight clipping so getting those shots right should not be that hard at all.  You could always set a slightly lower ISO to give yourself a bit of headroom for changing situations.  But I don't know how much good the image playback in camera would be when the ISO100 shot is 6 stops underexposed.  How do you know the focus is right, there's no motion blur, or the DOF is right if it's so dark?

PhilPreston3072's gear list:PhilPreston3072's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow