Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
RedYeti
Regular MemberPosts: 202Gear list
Like?
Re: Good Reason
In reply to Mako2011, 9 months ago

Mako2011 wrote:

Shield3 wrote:

Exactly this. My ML 5d3 will start with any card I have in it. If I don't want to run ML, I just format the card on the PC and it starts up without it.

That is not the case with the OP's camera though, regardless the reason. So the ML warnings are well founded and should be considered.

I tried to explain exactly why the OP was seeing that problem but perhaps I wasn't clear. The issue is well understood and clearly documented. As far as I can tell from the description he did what you are specifically warned not to do - delete ML from the card while leaving the card marked as bootable. The camera then tries to boot from the card but there is nothing on the card to boot, hence the camera hangs. This is not a function of ML, it is a function of the camera when the bootflag is set and a bootable card is detected. This is not related to the ML-specific warnings about damaging your camera.

Not sure why the OP is having this problem - I very often just shoot stills and boot without ANY SD card in (Just a virgin CF card in). No idea.

A very good reason for the average person not to install ML on their 5D3.

Agreed, in the sense that if you aren't prepared or able to carefully read and understand the directions, or willing to accept the small risk that something might in fact break, you probably shouldn't be attempting to use ML in the first place. As far as I can see the website makes this very clear. In reality someone who is technically minded and is used to flashing custom ROMs, firmwares and the like on other gadgets, this is just more of the same. It can be rewarding, useful and a lot of fun but it's definitely not for everybody.

RedYeti's gear list:RedYeti's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yepNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow