Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
RBFresno
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,697Gear list
Like?
Re: D800 Portrait Lens Battle!
In reply to mothergoose, 6 months ago

mothergoose wrote:

Shotcents wrote:

I like Zeiss, but the MF makes it less than practical for me as I do a lot of candid work. I have no idea why they don't add AF to their lenses at this point.

Robert

Exactly, why don't they have auto-focus? I just bought the Zeiss APO Sonnar 135mm F2 and it's phenomenal--better than their 21mm, but manual focus can cripple you at times. It's hit and miss with anything moving. It's worth the wasted shots, but only if you have the time.

Hi!

I agree!

I was at an outdoor event taking portrait type pictures last weekend with a 200VR.

I had the 135 Zeiss in the car trunk, and thought about using it as it would have been a more useful focal length, a lot lighter, and the quality is within spitting distance of the 200VR.

But the idea of trying to get shots with relatively thin DOF of folks moving, and the lack of VR for shots in the shady areas, kept me using the 200VR.

But boy, my back would've felt better with the 135 f/2 Zeiss than it  did after a half day of lugging the 200VR around!

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/160s f/3.2 at 200.0mm iso320

Nikon D3 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/200s f/2.0 at 200.0mm iso200

Nikon D4 ,Nikkor 200mm f/2G IF-ED AF-S VR
1/1000s f/2.2 at 200.0mm iso800

Best Regards,

RB

RBFresno's gear list:RBFresno's gear list
Nikon D2H Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow