Are images from the E-m1 actually better than from the E-m5?

Started Oct 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
MadManAce
Regular MemberPosts: 162Gear list
Like?
Re: I think you missed the point of the EM1
In reply to Absolutic, Oct 1, 2013

Absolutic wrote:

I agree. The problem with EM5 was (for me) its ergonomics, not its image quality. EM1 fixed 90% of what I did not like about EM5's ergonomics (they did not fix the issue of build-in fill-in flash that I would have liked, but hey, you cannot have everything):

E-M5 quality was good enough for me

1) Grip that is useful and already there with access to battery compartment.

I had the E-M5 freeze on me twice and having the pull the main battery out made me miss some important shots

2) Much larger buttons

the size of the buttons never bothered me on the em5, but there where too few and awkwardly placed.

3) More fn type buttons plus many things can be controlled with buttons and knobs

+1

4) the idiotic on/off switch on the bottom moved to the top of the camera

+1

5) PDAF might help with continuous AF during day (my EM5 straggled with a simple task of shooting a model walking toward me at leisurely pace) remains to be seen how good the improvements are

+1

6) bonuses: 1/320 Flash xsync, 1/8000 shutter speed, larger viewfinder, ability to fast AF with 43 lenses, better weatherproveness.

+1

When I compare prices between EM5 and EM1, I have to consider the fact that to me personally EM5 was useless without the grip - just was super uncomfortable without it. So I have to always factor in the price of the grip to EM5. EM5 - retail today. Body -$949. Grip = $249. Total - $1200. EM1 - retail today = $1400. If comparing retail prices today for new EM5 vs EM1, to me these above improvements definitely worth the $200 price difference.

+1

I will also add smaller focusing squares to the list, on the em5 one had to press the magnify button once, but this removed some important display info and having to move the focus squares by micro steps was a sure way to miss a shot.

The Wifi is an excellent feature that I would like to use on those cold nights in Joshua Tree National park with Live Bulb.

Bigger better EVF is a welcome addition. I only hope it is closer to WYSIWYG, the em5 would show the blown out highlight blinkies when viewing live and when the shot was taken it showed less blinkies. This often led to underexposed photos.

In general, I agree that this camera is about improved function. If sensor were everything, people would only shoot 8x10 Large Format. Which is why 35mm film was so popular, it was miniature in comparison, and it was a compromise of absolute image quality vs. convenience.

MadManAce's gear list:MadManAce's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Olympus E-M1 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow