Chato
Forum ProPosts: 44,259Gear list
Like?
Re: To be a Hedonist is to be an egoist
In reply to Martin.au, 11 months ago

Mjankor wrote:

Chato wrote:

lylejk wrote:

Not quite; hedonism (stand corrected) is being motivated by pleasure and what makes them feel good. Egoism is motivated by what makes them look good.

The sin is the SAME, the glorifying of the self.

Altruism in it's pure form is just idealism and don't truly exists if you ask me.

That;s ok I wasn't asking you. Altruism in all its form takes place thousands of times a day. It takes an egoist to assume that everyone else is an egoist.

Unfortunately there are many folk that call themselfs altruist and in reality want to force their beliefs on others. This isn't altruism anymore; this is totalitarianism. A true altruists makes sacrifices for others and don't expect anything in return.

So? There are totalitarians in this world. What does that have to do with anything?

A totalitarianist forces all to make sacrifices for what they believe is the better good for all, but that begs the questions, who makes the decision for the collective? There's always a dictator under such situations and that's why this form of thought is dead on arival to me.

Yeah, we all know how Washington made millions out of the Revolutionary War. How those who served in all of our wars, did it only for profit.

He either fears his fate to much
Or his deserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
To gain or lose it all.

Montrose

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

I think you're thinking of narcissism. Hedonism doesn't necessarily result in the "glorifying of the self". Hedonism is more about pursuit of pleasure.

What is the "pursuit of pleasure?" We all like pleasure and we all pursue it, does that make all of us match the word "hedonist?" In the common definition, (Yes there is a "philosophical definition which differs) A hedonist is someone who pursues ONLY pleasure. And what is that if not the satisfying of the ego? Is there ANY Christian Church which ascribes to hedonism?

Dave

-- hide signature --

"Everyone who has ever lived, has lived in Modern Times"

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
So?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow