Full frame lens speculation question (something long term to think about while we wait )

Started Oct 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,952Gear list
Like?
Full frame lens speculation question (something long term to think about while we wait )
Oct 1, 2013

OK.  I've taken a good long look at the pictures circulating of the probable new K-3, and I tentatively agree that that looks like a body that could hold a set of full frame innards very nicely.  Let's leave aside for a second the whole issue of how much the ol' yardcoyote wants a full frame Pentax (some? a lot? enough to do something rash?) and consider a question of lenses.

I gather that there are modern full frame Pentax lenses out there (the FA series, if I am correct), but I think it's reasonable to assume that some new "launch lenses" will accompany the new FF body when/if it appears next year.  And again it seems reasonable that one of them will probably be a 50 or 55mm fast prime, since that seems to still be a standard piece of kit that many photographers want, just as it was in the days of film.

This will be a K mount lens, and there's no reason it won't work on a Pentax crop sensor body as well, right?  Study of my EXIF data shows I take a lot of pictures in the 50 -55mm focal length with my zooms, which makes sense since my old favorite film lens was an 85mm.  Maybe I'm not going to be in the market for a new body and a new set of glass, but I might be able to swing a new lens by this time next year ...

Anybody else thinking about the potential of theoretical full frame lenses on APS-C?

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow