Are images from the E-m1 actually better than from the E-m5?

Started Oct 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
Tony Rogers
Contributing MemberPosts: 575Gear list
Like?
Re: Are images from the E-m1 actually better than from the E-m5?
In reply to tom60634, Oct 1, 2013

tom60634 wrote:

Tony Rogers wrote:

I'm using CS5. But it seems to me that the colours are similar in the jpegs too and that the E-M1 is very different in colour cast from the E-M5.

CS5 doesn't support raw files from the EM-1 when I try to open an EM-1 file I get the following response from CS5:

"Could not complete your request because the file appears to be from a camera model which is not supported by the installed version of Camera Raw.

Please visit the Camera Raw help documentation for additional information."

Using the EM-1 raw file that Donald Chin was kind enough to provide I was able to open it with Photoshop CC. There were no unusual casts or color aberrations that I could find. The uniform colors of the foremost soccer player ( orange and red ), were out of gamut for sRGB, but that can be considered normal since the ACR color space is set to ProPhoto. The out of gamma colors were easily isolated and adjusted in photoshop. I did not notice any obviously different color casts from my E-M5 files.

I converted them with the latest DNG converter before opening them.

I have compared the raw files with those from other cameras like the 6D and D600. Of courses, these are not necessarily "right" but they do make the reds from the E-M1 look a bit pink by comparison.

I have tweaked my CS5 Hue and Saturation defaults a bit and I will set a WB adjustment when I get the camera to decrease the temperature slightly and to push the tint slightly towards green from pink.

I not happy yet but I think I will be able to get closer to what I want eventually.

Tony Rogers's gear list:Tony Rogers's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow