Aftermarket Battery Grip Survey (Nikon D90/D7000/D7100)

Started Sep 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
jimoyer
Senior MemberPosts: 1,635Gear list
Like?
Re: Aftermarket Battery Grip Survey (Nikon D90/D7000/D7100)
In reply to Cope, 11 months ago

Cope wrote:

SteveCooper wrote:

I use the Nikon vertical grip for my D90 and it has 2 battery slots. If I remember correctly, Nikon's grip for the D7000 & D7100 do not have 2, but rather 1 slot, requiring you to remove the grip to charge the in-camera battery.

For the same reason another user has mentioned, it is not worth the risk to use a 3rd party grip. I would look for a used or refurb if new is too expensive for you.

I don't see the need for a second battery in the grip. Not many cases where you would go through both batteries in a session.

-- hide signature --

Never ask a man where he's from. If he is from Texas, he'll tell you. Otherwise, don't embarrass him.

Usually the grips with 2 batteries in the grip are like the D200 grip where you have to remove the battery compartment door and the control contacts are inside the battery compartment so it essentially moves the in body battery in to the grip.  The grips on the newer bodies keep the in body battery in place, have the contacts on the bottom of the camera instead of inside the battery compartment, and one have one battery in grip.  Either way, you end up with a total of 2 batteries.

jimoyer's gear list:jimoyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow